Thursday, December 11, 2014

Four Challenges to the Apologetic Life

For this posting, I found some of my notes from a few years ago, that caused me to reflect over the last several weeks of my life as a minister in the arena of auto sales. Before I get to that though, I would like to be a little transparent, and ask your prayers with what I am sharing.

Over the past several weeks, I have been trying to dig myself out of a rut of discouragement. Be rest assured though, this discouragement has NOT come from living out my Christian faith in my semi hostile job environment.

Quite the contrary, it has been a battle working long hours with some bright spots and highlights of conversations that the Lord has opened up. But my desire is for more time in a day to be able to share with you in this blog. Working long hours and coming home tired so that I have no energy to do what I am doing now.  And that weighed into the periodic spiritual battles we engage in make for a really wearying day.

But such are the joys in the midst of the raging of the cultural setting I find myself. So what's all this got to do with what what is following my asking for your prayers? Let me share with you some things on what it is like to live the apologetic life and things that you can engage in full force or in part.

Allow me to share with you four challenges that we have as apologists, that will help you prepare yourself to be a believer who is ready to give the credible answers to the one who is challenging your faith.

The first challenge is the personal side of apologetics.

One of the things we need to understand about living that apologetic life is that we need a grasp on how to take ownership of 1 Peter 3:15-17 and Matthew 22:36-39. I have found them very useful not only in my personal walk in the faith, but also as I interact with those who have hostile questions to my Christian faith. 

These passages are the linchpin of the apologetic life and will serve as a reminder to you as you seek the goal to bring a skeptic to the God of the Bible. As we seek this part of doing pre-evangelism to those who are skeptical, we will get a glimpse of the magnitude of the dialogue, especially when it comes down to truth issues being discussed. and hammered out. Know that as you engage the criticism, spiritual battle is taking place.  How is this so?

It is because people have different views or caricatures who God is and what He is like. Some people, who look for God, travel the eclectic road, taking from a vast potpourri of qualities: a little bit of this and a little bit of that.  Let me give you an example.

Let's say that you are talking to a person seeking God, and thy happen to like the Dallas Cowboys, and they are acceptant of the gay lifestyle and they are a liberal Democrat. What kind caricature of God do you think that person will have? 

They will have an image of God in their minds which they have created that turns out to be "one" which likes the Dallas Cowboys, is acceptant to the gay lifestyle and is more loving of the liberal Democrat than the to the political conservative. Ultimately that God created in the person's mind will be more of a reflection of themselves rather than the God who really exists.

There are many people who all kinds of different caricatures of God that are totally foreign to the real nature and essence of God. Not to long ago, at work, I have do clear the bushes and let a co worker know that I don't believe in the God that is a cosmic chess player, or one that is a cosmic grandfather who gives his children anything they want. Once this barrier was dropped, the second challenge for us as apologists rises to the surface. 

There is a second challenge is to keep your apologetic relational.

As you and I share with a skeptical person, it is important to remember that we are not that person's mind. Our goal, which should always be the goal, is finding a way for the seeking skeptic to see the God of the Bible.

If you and I think we are going to be the one changing the person, we are not relying on the Holy Spirit and we are not doing apologetics from a biblical perspective.  We need to be cordial in our interactions with the skeptic.

We need to be actively listening for biases and logical fallacies. We need to be alert to the personal moralizing which is smuggled in to debunk a moral Lawgiver. 

We do not need to be afraid to ask the person questions. When we ask questions there are several things that can occur. First is the opportunity for two way communication and understanding. Second, there will be times that our question will open up the person to their own assumptions where they find out a third idea. The questions we ask may even unfold or reveal some hidden prejudices.  

As we keep a relational attitude, we need to remain cordial in our interaction. We should be willing to think with the person and challenge them to think with us.

If we cannot answer a question or if the conversation comes to a halt for some reason, know that it is not done, but only for the moment. This presents us with the third challenge.

The third challenge is to educate yourself to defend the faith.

I remember back when I was hammering out my formal education, I would find myself continually preparing myself for being out in the secular city in the marketplace of ideas. Little did I realize, that I would be in the job that I am in right now; a business that was once a Christian owned car dealership, only to have it purchased by one that forbids religious and political dialogue.

What can you do to educate yourself to be a Christian case maker who is ready to give credible answers to the hard and soft questions coming at your faith? Let me offer a few suggestions:

Build a library of some good apologetics resources that cover a variety of topics. Since I first started there have been a plethora of resources of apologists writings, recordings (through podcasts), and other sources. Build yourself a great resource library. You can contact me and I can give you some ideas as well. Email me at roblundberg2000@yahoo.com and I can share with you a list of resources.

A second thing you can do is build for yourself a portfolio of responses to criticisms coming from the skeptics. Consult blogs that are giving answers to some of those questions and challenges to see if you are on track. Build it upon topics that deal with God's existence, the person of Christ, the origin and inspiration of Scripture, the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and other subjects.  

Thirdly and greatly if not more importantly, be a student of the Bible. Maintain for yourself a personal devotional life. 

One reason for this is not just for personal sustenance but also many skeptics attack the Scriptures and try to rip apart its authenticity and inspiration. As you are a student of the Word, bear in mind that you can also work on your responses to those who criticize the Bible.  It will also help you keep in front of you the fourth and final challenge to living out the apologetic life.

The fourth challenge is keeping our apologetic life practical.

Whenever someone challenges your Christian faith, listen to what they are saying and think with them as the criticism is revealed. In other words, think before you respond.

You may not have an opportunity to respond to it, nevertheless consider it a drill that will help you prepare your mind with a ready response. Jot down the criticism and respond to it on paper as if the person were in front of you. Once you have written that response, study it and file it away in your portfolio of responses. Who knows, you may run into that criticism again.

Another thought comes to mind as I wrap this posting up. We live in a day and a time where there are those in our churches who have a  difficult time articulating their faith. When I first shared these thoughts back in the nineties, this was not as troubling as it is today. 

Do not be surprised if you find yourself in a Bible study with believers, but some of those believers  may be skeptical. There may be a Christian who is doubting something about the Christian faith. There may be skeptic in the group and they may challenge you in front of other believers with a goal to see if you can answer their challenging question. 

Let me recommend that if you can answer it without going into the leader's time, go ahead and answer it. Why? Simply we will have no way of knowing whether or not a believer who is doubting might have the same or similar question that is causing their doubt.

Take the challenge of the apologist: Be personal. Be relational. Educate yourself and build your resources. But equally important, keep it practical. Do those things, and live the life. . . the apologetic life that we defend.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your idea of keeping a portfolio is brilliant! I have done a fair amount if reading but taking the time to write out my own answers to common questions would go a long way to helping me have an ready answer. Your advice to stay in the word is wise also.

Thanks for sharing. You and your family are in our prayers.

Sandi Donnelly

Rob Lundberg said...

Thank you Sandy. Let me know if I can be of assistance in helping you build your apologetics resources. Keep an eye on the Fredericksburg Apologetics Project Facebook page. Hopefully my job situation changes to where I have more time and energy to develop this ministry. We will need folks who are interested in apologetics to be involved. Appreciate you and Brian praying for us here. Blessings, Rob

Douglas Jones said...

I'm praying what Francis Schaeffer and others used to say, "the Lord's work done IN THE LORD'S WAY. Rob, thank you for always trying and mostly succeeding in what you speak of... such a good example.