What is Apologetics?

Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word “apologetics” derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense or an answer given in reply. In ancient Athens it referred to a defense made in the courtroom as part of the normal judicial procedure. After the accusation, the defendant was allowed to refute the charges with a defense or reply (apologia). The word appears 17 times in noun or verb form in the New Testament, and both the noun (apologia) and verb form (apologeomai) can be translated “defense” or “vindication” in every case.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I am tired of the fallout of our students and you should be too. . .

Dear Pastors, Ministry Leaders, Parents, and Concerned Believers,

Are you concerned about the exodus that is happening in our churches, where 75-88% of the students coming out of Christian homes and going off to college are walking away from the Christian faith.  I am and you should be too.

My name is Rob Lundberg, and I am a homeschool Dad with a teenage daughter getting ready to graduate. Outside of my full time job to take care of my girls, I am part of a great ministry organization called “Ratio Christi.”  As the Chapter Director and Community Apologist for two campuses in the Fredericksburg area, I have scores of opportunities to talk to students and parents of students concerned about an “exodus” by our youth culture from the church, after leaving high school.  The reasons for this exodus are many:
US Teens are “incredibly inarticulate” about their faith. This inability to intelligently communicate their faith is a factor for skepticism and doubt

The professors in the universities seeking out our kids. The movie “God’s Not Dead” provided a great illustration for what our kids possibly go through in various classes in college and universities. Did you know that 1 in 4 professors (humanities, social and physical sciences) are atheist or agnostic. Only six percent of the professors in the secular university say that the Bible is the actual Word of God. The attitude toward evangelical Christians is staggering as well.

More than half of the professors have “unfavorable” feelings toward evangelical Christians.  Fifty-one percent of the professors say that the Bible is an “ancient book of fables, legends, history and moral precepts.” Those professors, who are embracing atheism or a hard form of agnosticism are quick to tell our kids their “faith” is delusional, and Christianity is a virus that needs to be cured through “reason” (anti-theistic rhetoric).


What are the key factors setting the trap for our kids?  Those factors are internal, within the Christian community and the church. The Barna Institute’s surveys have summed up that82% of students pick and choose what to believe about Christianity: what they believe Christianity is and what it is not.

Why? What is going on?
Many students have said, that Christianity did not make sense any more. They find that some of the “stuff” about miracles, the problem of evil, and the nature of God too far fetched for them to believe. Many of those who are walking away are saying, “it does not make sense to me any more” or “it is too far fetched for me to believe.”

Many students today are getting influences from several sources, ranging from the science classroom to the internet. These influences encourage them to think scientifically and doubt anything that has to do with the supernatural or unscientific.

What are the results? Students find themselves with too many questions that cannot be answered by parents, who push the question to their pastor. The pastor then searches out a book for the student, that will answer that question. Will that student read the book? Not likely.

Therefore the church needs the personal touch and encouragement in equipping toward learning how to give a response to the culture (apologetics based upon 1 Peter 3:15:17).  So where does all this “bell ringing” of a “town crier” lead us?

I am not just a home school “Dad.” Prior to my conversion, I could relate to much of what I have shared with you. I was “raised in church” but an “atheist” by age sixteen. Thankfully, I had people challenge me to refute what I was taught in my early church years; and in June of 1980, I bowed my heart, soul, mind, and knee to the risen Lord Jesus Christ.

In those early years, there were people trying to throw me a book. There were people who could not answer my questions. After my conversion, God gave me an incurable passion to get answers to why Christianity is true and share those answers in a setting of equipping and discipleship.

What is Ratio Christi?Ratio Christi is a global movement that equips university students and faculty to give historical, philosophical, and scientific reasons for following Jesus Christ. Bringing together faith and reason to establish the intellectual voice of Christ in the University, Ratio Christi is planting student led apologetics clubs at universities around the world. Students, engaged in the battle for the mind, learn to defend God's existence, the reliability of the Bible, and the fact of Christ’s resurrection. We seek a Renaissance of Christian Thinking in the University.Our chapter at Germanna is toward this same mission.

How May I Serve You?
As the Chapter Director and Community apologist at an “approved” chapter, like Ratio Christi at Germanna,  I would love to share more about how we can reach our kids, through the resources of Ratio Christi and our ministry, and how you can help us reach the campus for Christ and the gospel.
At the same time, we need a revival of Christian thinking in the Fredericksburg area. Do you have a desire to stand firm in your faith for the cause of Christ? That is my desire for Christ and His churches for this area. Let me share that desire a little further.  This desire is four fold:

**  to show how you, as a ministry leader, can possibly revive in your church in the  communication and defense of the faith in a “post Christian" culture.

**  to show you, as a ministry leader or parent, how apologetics can assist you in reaching the lost and educating your church members.

**  to assist in helping you answer those questions and issues that you see undermining peoples’s ability to “stick it out” with Christ.

**  to assist in answering and overcoming the greatest obstacle preventing the average church or Christian school (K-12, and undergrads) from being an impact in their setting.

In closing, I have committed my life to living the life of being involved in a type of evangelism that is undergirded by Christian apologetics and followed up with the spiritual disciplines. I have had the privilege in the past places where my family and I have lived,  to speak in churches, speak at conferences, do open Q&A's in colleges, universities, interviewed on local radio and television.

I am stepping out and committing myself to serve you and your church or ministry, should you call upon me.  If I can be of service to you, will you contact me?  I would love to set up a time to meet with you and discuss more about how we can serve your church or ministry together through an event, workshop, or training session.


Yours in service to our King and the defense of the faith that is once for all delivered to the saints,

Rob Lundberg
Chapter Director, Ratio Christi at Germanna Community College
Director, Fredericksburg Apologetics Project
germanna@ratiochristi.org
rob@roblundberg.org
or IM me on Facebook

No comments: